In his 16th year in the NBA and first season with the Los Angeles Lakers, LeBron James has Michael Jordan's career points haul in his sights.
James has already established himself as one of the all-time greats and could surpass the six-time NBA champion in scoring this year, though Dirk Nowitzki is first up on his list of potential targets.
Stephen Curry can move past a number of names with his prowess from beyond the arc, while a major milestone is also in the offing for Chris Paul.
With the help of Opta, we take a look at the landmarks approaching for some of the league's biggest names.
- James is just 382 points away from passing Wilt Chamberlain (31,419) in fifth on the NBA's all-time points leaderboard.
- James enters the campaign averaging 2,069.2 points per season. If he reaches that total again, he will surpass Michael Jordan (32,292) for fourth on the chart.
- Nowitzki is also chasing down Chamberlain's points total. The veteran German will move beyond him if he scores 233 points this season.
- Curry is averaging 236.6 made three-pointers per season in his career. If he hits that total in 2018-19, he could jump to as high as third in the league's all-time three-pointers made list.
- To go third Curry (2,129) would need to surpass Jason Terry (2,282) and Kyle Korver (2,213), who could join Ray Allen (2,973) and Reggie Miller (2,560) as the only players with more than 2,300 three-pointers made.
The @Lakers defeat the @warriors 123-113 in Las Vegas!— NBA (@NBA) October 11, 2018
LeBron: 15 PTS, 10 REB, 5 AST
Ingram: 26 PTS, 5 REB
Kuzma: 22 PTS
Steph: 23 PTS, 5 AST
Klay Thompson: 20 PTS, 4 3PM
Durant: 18 PTS, 12 REB#NBAPreseason pic.twitter.com/OVJAA92P2g
- Paul needs 292 assists to become the eighth player in history with 9,000. He enters the season averaging 669.8 assists per year and if he reaches that total he would move up to seventh from ninth on the all-time leaderboard.
- James has averaged 547.2 assists per season in his career and needs 317 to pass Andre Miller for the 10th most in NBA history.
- This will be Nowitzki's 21st year with the Dallas Mavericks, breaking a tie with Kobe Bryant (Los Angeles Lakers) for the most seasons with a single team.
|Croatia thrashing means nothing now – Luis Enrique|
|Chelsea and Everton among Arnautovic suitors, claims agent|
|TJ Watt hopes to win NFL sacks race with brother JJ|
|Modric defends Ramos after Lovren comments|
|Southgate hails ´outstanding´ Delph as he talks up England strength in depth|
|No war with Manchester United over Fellaini, insists Martinez|
|Rooney to wear number 10 shirt against USA and receive armband from Delph|
|I don´t feel pressure of Liverpool expectations, claims Klopp|
|Steelers´ Roethlisberger texted Bell but ´didn’t hear back´|
|Reus and Kroos to sit out Germany´s clash with Russia|
|Van Dijk happy to recommend De Ligt if Liverpool ask|
|Sauber announce launch of junior programme|
|No ´breathtaking tennis´ in Djokovic´s win against Zverev|
|Curran: England spinners will be key in Kandy|
|Djokovic charges past Zverev to move closer to ATP Finals progression|
|Messi is a football alien - Malcom|
|Sky´s the limit for Sancho, says Dortmund team-mate Pulisic|
|Radwanska retires from tennis at 29|
|Maybe one day - Pulisic open to Premier League move|
|Suso ´proud´ of Real Madrid speculation but happy at AC Milan|
|Betis president convinced Lo Celso will stay|
|Injured Holder out of Bangladesh tour|
|Germany face relegation, final spots up for grabs - Nations League state of play|
|James Rodriguez out for several weeks with knee injury|
|Curran´s brilliant fifty rescues England´s innings|
|Lenglet: No problem with Dembele at Barca|
|Townsend rings the changes for Springboks clash|
|Claudio Ranieri´s managerial career in Opta numbers|
|Mahmudullah´s first century in eight years boosts Bangladesh|
|Fellaini gets the chop ahead of 31st birthday|
|Maradona: Solari will not last at Real Madrid|
|Molinari: Race to Dubai success would not surpass Ryder Cup glory with Fleetwood|
|Dortmund star Sancho was a Bayern target, confirms Salihamidzic|
|Gerrard enjoying ´buzz´ of management|
|Hamilton questions approach to Formula One expansion|
|Ranieri honoured to lead ´exceptional´ Fulham squad|
|Solari saw Isco out of shape - Ceballos|
|Ranieri replaces Jokanovic at Fulham|
|Durant keeps details of Green spat ´in-house´ but envisages resolution|
|Rooney: Kane and Sterling are England superstars|
|Messi will make Argentina return, says Maradona|
|Warriors drop Hawks as Green serves suspension|
|In-form Healy sends Australia into semis|
|Former NBA star McGrady says Carmelo Anthony should retire|
|Celtics´ Smart: We have to look at ourselves in the mirror|
|Federer plays down preferential treatment talk|
|Mourinho is better than Guardiola – Maradona|
|Mbappe plays down Pele comparisons|
|Don´t worry bro – Mendy responds to Trump|
|Melvin, Snitker win manager of the year awards|
|Warriors´ Green suspended for Hawks clash|
|Asensio: It´s not for me to lead Madrid|
|Rooney ready to enjoy England farewell after pressure of ´Golden Generation´|
|Ludwigsburg stun high-flying Murcia in BCL|
|Rams v Chiefs moved to LA due to Mexico City field conditions|
|Skriniar discussing new Inter contract, confirms agent|
|Former Barcelona boss Martino named MLS Coach of the Year|
|Bell fails to report to Steelers, will sit out rest of season|
|Federer back on track after dismal Thiem display|
|Udinese appoint Nicola after sacking Velazquez|
|Monaco deny they broke rules regarding youth recruitment|
|Del Bosque, Zidane, Lopetegui - The former Castilla coaches Solari follows into Real Madrid hot seat|
|Ozil rejected ´crazy offers´ from Asia, reveals agent|
|Real Madrid appoint Solari on permanent basis|
|LeVert avoids need for surgery, should return this season|
|Neuer confident despite concerns over Bayern Munich form|
|All I ever wanted to do is win, says Sixers signing Butler|
|Pogba: Coming home to United was the best feeling ever|
|Watson among four signing new Bath deals|
|Susanna Dinnage to replace Scudamore as Premier League chief executive|