In his 16th year in the NBA and first season with the Los Angeles Lakers, LeBron James has Michael Jordan's career points haul in his sights.
James has already established himself as one of the all-time greats and could surpass the six-time NBA champion in scoring this year, though Dirk Nowitzki is first up on his list of potential targets.
Stephen Curry can move past a number of names with his prowess from beyond the arc, while a major milestone is also in the offing for Chris Paul.
With the help of Opta, we take a look at the landmarks approaching for some of the league's biggest names.
- James is just 382 points away from passing Wilt Chamberlain (31,419) in fifth on the NBA's all-time points leaderboard.
- James enters the campaign averaging 2,069.2 points per season. If he reaches that total again, he will surpass Michael Jordan (32,292) for fourth on the chart.
- Nowitzki is also chasing down Chamberlain's points total. The veteran German will move beyond him if he scores 233 points this season.
- Curry is averaging 236.6 made three-pointers per season in his career. If he hits that total in 2018-19, he could jump to as high as third in the league's all-time three-pointers made list.
- To go third Curry (2,129) would need to surpass Jason Terry (2,282) and Kyle Korver (2,213), who could join Ray Allen (2,973) and Reggie Miller (2,560) as the only players with more than 2,300 three-pointers made.
The @Lakers defeat the @warriors 123-113 in Las Vegas!— NBA (@NBA) October 11, 2018
LeBron: 15 PTS, 10 REB, 5 AST
Ingram: 26 PTS, 5 REB
Kuzma: 22 PTS
Steph: 23 PTS, 5 AST
Klay Thompson: 20 PTS, 4 3PM
Durant: 18 PTS, 12 REB#NBAPreseason pic.twitter.com/OVJAA92P2g
- Paul needs 292 assists to become the eighth player in history with 9,000. He enters the season averaging 669.8 assists per year and if he reaches that total he would move up to seventh from ninth on the all-time leaderboard.
- James has averaged 547.2 assists per season in his career and needs 317 to pass Andre Miller for the 10th most in NBA history.
- This will be Nowitzki's 21st year with the Dallas Mavericks, breaking a tie with Kobe Bryant (Los Angeles Lakers) for the most seasons with a single team.
|Reported Liverpool target Dabbur to undergo Sevilla medical|
|Lebanon v North Korea: Radulovic calls on players to make history|
|MLS MVP Martinez signs five-year contract with Atlanta|
|WBC set deadline for Wilder-Fury rematch|
|Iran 0 Iraq 0: Team Melli top Group D after dull draw|
|Vietnam 2 Yemen 0: Quang Hai shines to give Golden Dragons hope|
|Bielsa admits to spying on all Leeds´ opponents|
|Valverde open to arrivals amid De Jong tug-of-war|
|Sexton named in Ireland squad for Six Nations openers|
|Higuain benched for Supercoppa Italiana amid Chelsea links|
|De Grandhomme, Latham and Santner back in Black Caps squad|
|Oman v Turkmenistan: Verbeek tells players to ´score as many as possible´|
|Japan v Uzbekistan: Cuper not distracted by potential last-16 opponents|
|Brown desperate for England recall|
|Lowry ties course record in Abu Dhabi|
|James is playing for Bayern future – Kovac|
|Wizards can compete for playoffs in LeBron-less East despite injuries - Brooks|
|Kyrgyzstan 3 Philippines 1: Lux hat-trick gives White Falcons third-place hope|
|South Korea 2 China 0: Son sets the standard as Bento´s men take top spot|
|Saudi Arabia v Qatar: Top spot on the line in Group E|
|Wasps pull off Fekitoa coup|
|Fresh injury woe for Real Madrid defender Vallejo|
|Home sweet home for Wozniacki as Stephens conquers Melbourne demons|
|Nadal: Victory over Ebden a step forward|
|Proteas rest Steyn and De Kock for opening ODIs|
|Nadal and Federer march on as rising stars prosper|
|Barcelona president Bartomeu convinced Valverde will stay|
|Inter forward Keita suffers thigh injury|
|Nadal races into third round with easy Ebden win|
|Kimmich ´perfect´ for Barcelona, says Xavi|
|Richardson and Nabi inspire Renegades´ rout of Sixers|
|This Liverpool isn´t a team of chokers – Mane|
|Central Coast Mariners 2 Melbourne City 1: Late Simon winner ends 10-match losing streak|
|Bryan backs Murray to return after hip resurfacing surgery|
|Scotland coach Townsend turns to trio of uncapped hookers|
|Spurs´ Aurier arrested on suspicion of assault, released without charge|
|That was a fireworks show - Warriors revel in record-breaking first quarter|
|We are in talks with Chelsea – Salihamidzic reiterates interest in Hudson-Odoi|
|´Proud´ Messi recognises impact of team-mates after reaching 400 LaLiga goals|
|Henry v Vieira: The Arsene Wenger proteges to move into coaching|
|Federer enjoys ´cat and mouse´ win over Evans|
|Wozniacki cruises through in Melbourne|
|Federer maintains perfect Australian Open second-round record|
|Warriors set NBA record, Butler´s 76ers rout Timberwolves|
|´I like the fact we beat them´ - 76ers´ Butler revels in win over Timberwolves|
|Murray says he´ll ´probably´ have operation|
|Australian Open tribute for Andy Murray surprises brother Jamie|
|Warriors score NBA record 51 points in first quarter against Nuggets|
|Panthers owner Tepper doesn´t rule out Newton missing 2019 because of shoulder injury|
|De Ligt will be world´s best centre-back – Koeman|
|Ronaldo a ´perfect machine´, says Gattuso|
|Barcelona? I can´t say anything - Stuani|
|Silva upbeat about Man City title chances|
|Celtics youngsters say Irving´s callout ´came from a good place´|
|NFL playoffs: Patrick Mahomes v Tom Brady|
|NFL playoffs: Jared Goff v Drew Brees|
|Sixers sign Brewer to 10-day contract|
|Lozano and Morgan scoop CONCACAF awards|
|Lakers ´optimistic´ about LeBron injury|
|Giants produce mammoth fourth quarter against Nymburk|
|Austin FC to join MLS in 2021|
|Henry, Vieira look forward to reunion when Monaco host Nice|
|Barcelona reject Neymar phone call reports|
|Wentz is the quarterback ´going forward´, says Eagles coach Pederson|
|Gattuso: Higuain has not asked to leave|
|Drew Brees by the Opta numbers: 10 facts for QB´s milestone birthday|
|Harry Kane injury: England captain´s history of ankle woe|
|Harry Kane injury: Opta numbers suggest Spurs struggles|
|Harry Kane injury: Tottenham´s options in striker´s absence|
|Allegri: Supercoppa clash practice for Champions League knockouts|